Thursday, March 29, 2012

Maglio: The Surname DNA Project


   Have you had your DNA tested?  Did you get many close matches or like me did you get none?  I have no matches with the same surname.  The closest matches to my Italian yDNA were some Welsh guys.  If the Welsh connection were a few generations back, I’d be worried about my paternal line.  My closest DNA connections are 2000 to 3000 years ago.  This really doesn’t help me find my Italian roots.


   This doesn’t mean that my DNA testing has been in vain.  I’ve learned a lot about my origins.  I’ve used the DNA to trace my tribal migration from the Caucasus Mountains, across Europe and down the boot of Italy.  There is even a strong argument that a connection exists to the Etruscan culture.

   Since I am the first Maglio to be tested on the Family Tree DNA site, I guess it is up to me to start a project to gather all of the distantly related Maglios together.

   For all of you who have been tested and have no close connections it’s time for us to take the bull by the horns.  Let’s be the leaders.  Let’s create our own projects.  So, I’m creating a Maglio surname project on Family Tree DNA.  They make it easy and it’s free.  It’s free because they hope to get revenue as you invite other folks with the same surname to be tested.  FTDNA does offer discounted tests to project members.  It’s a win-win.

   “If you build it, they will come.”  Just because I start a project doesn’t mean that the Maglios will come flocking.  I’m going to need to get the message out.  I’m going to have to find them.  Like any relationship, it will take some wooing.

   Rather than just contacting random Maglios and asking for DNA, I have set up a Facebook group called Maglio Famiglia.  I plan to invite every Maglio on Facebook.  This will give us an opportunity to chat, compare stories and build connections.

   If anyone out there has been through this already, tell me about your experience building either a Facebook or Family Tree DNA surname project.

No comments:

Post a Comment